Monday, December 10, 2012

What's making me happy this week, XLIX

Well, it was quite a week for me. Last Sunday, after I wrote last week's post, I sliced open my thumb with a knife while washing dishes and then because I couldn't use my (painfully throbbing) thumb, I fumbled my phone and dropped it in the toilet.* I have never dropped ANYTHING in the toilet, so you can imagine my horror at dropping something that is 1. extremely expensive, 2. almost always within arm's reach, and 3. absolutely not supposed to be submerged in water EVER. 

I had heard of people recovering wet electronics by burying them in uncooked rice, so I gave it a shot. I patiently waited until Monday night to turn it on, and although it could connect to my computer the screen was not working. Thankfully, I was awoken on Tuesday morning by my alarm and a functioning screen. A week later, it seems to be working just fine, although I can no longer adjust the screen brightness to anything but extremely bright. I'm not complaining - it's a small price to pay to have my phone back. Plus, it reminds me that I need to try harder to be less klutzy and more mindful of what I'm doing at the moment.

So anyway, what's making me happy this week is that I still have my phone, and it works, and I appreciate everything I can use it for. And let me be a lesson to you: be careful when you do the dishes, and don't put your electronics anywhere near water.

*Ironically, I was trying to remove my phone from my pocket so that this very thing would not happen.

No comments: