Monday, November 10, 2008

Better than winning five bucks

There is an episode of How I Met Your Mother called Slap Bet. I don't know if there were Slap Bets before this episode, so if not, a Slap Bet is when you make a bet and the winner gets to slap the loser across the face. And of course, because we are a little obsessed with all things concerning this show, my roommate and I can't have an argument without instantly challenging each other to a slap bet:

"This song is from Tom Petty's newest album."

"Um, I'm pretty sure this song is as old I am."

"No, the only album of his I have is the new one, and I know this is on it."

"You wanna slap bet?"

"Absolutely I do."

Generally we back out as soon as the other person asks to slap bet. I've won twice (I won that Tom Petty bet up there, by the way), but I as I'm not a very violent person, I put the second slap in reserve, and we decided I'm allowed to use as an out if needed. The only slap bet we've had since then ended in a draw, since we were both wrong.

It's a nice feeling to know that I could take a risk and come out even, but at the same time I like holding on to the power of having that slap left. You're supposed to have a non-biased Slap Bet Commisioner who decides what's fair and what's not, but we don't have one. That's probably going to come back to haunt us (and by us I mean ME, specifically), even though for now we're doing alright. I just know it will end something like this,* especially since we can't seem to live our lives differently than they do on the show.

*but with less happy singing and more pain.

No comments: