Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Like buried treasure, only not.

I absorb a lot of news during the day. I listen to the radio on the way to and from work, I download a couple of news podcasts and listen to them in the morning, and part of my internet addiction entails reading news feeds from three different sources. I just picked this habit back up in September after I started my new job, but I had been even more immersed in current events before I left my job in June, and I remember quitting the news cold turkey when I went to Bonnaroo and feeling really weird. I remember listening to the news on the drive home and thinking, But what about the earthquake in China!? Which I understand is a serious problem, but there are worse addictions, I suppose.

Anyway, today I have been bombarded (no pun intended) with news about the missing nuclear bomb near Greenland, and I have to say that I am underwhelmed by it. This is probably because a year or two ago, I was watching the History Channel with my dad and saw a documentary about this missing nuclear bomb off the coast of Savannah, Georgia. In both cases, the military is all, "well, if we can't find it we figure it's as good as gone." Sure, military. THANKS. I feel so much better.

Besides, if the US government loses nuclear bombs, don't you think other governments have lost some? I like to think there are missing nuclear weapons all over the place, and so far nothing bad has happened. It keeps me from worrying about spontaneous nuclear explosions. Sort of.

No comments: