Monday, September 29, 2008

Did I mention it was cold? Because it was pretty cold.

My roommate and my dog and I went camping Saturday night. I had to work all day, so it was dark by the time we got up into the mountains and had the tent set up and a fire going. It was pretty chilly, so once our fire went out we decided to go crawl into our sleeping bags and go to sleep. And I was like, great, I can't wait to find out what creepy things my roommate is going to do to freak me out a la Blair Witch, as that very morning he had woken up at 6 am and piled all of my dog's toys outside my bedroom door. ("I tried to set them all up so it was like they were looking at you," he said. "But they kept falling over.") If he was going to do a lame knock-off prank in our apartment, I figured he'd go all out once we were in the woods.

Unfortunately for him, we had other things to worry about, such as the low temperature that night being somewhere around 45 and the fact that our sleeping bags weren't as warm as we'd hoped. I spent most of the night awake, just as I thought I might, but instead of being paranoid about every sound I heard, I was alternating between trying to find a good way to keep myself warm and worrying about the dog, who I was convinced would freeze to death if not snuggled under my sleeping bag with me. This led to very little sleep in some very uncomfortable positions. But we survived and I like to think that it was better than waking up in a puddle of sweat.

In the end, I'm glad we went, because the mountains were beautiful this morning, and it was nice to take advantage of living so close to the Rockies. And also because I am really good at toasting marshmallows, and outside of camping that's not a skill I get to use very often. In fact I'm pretty sure I won't be using it again until it's warm outside.

Mountain Sunrise

No comments: