Thursday, September 25, 2008

Denver: Month Three

I don't know if it's because I spent so much of the summer sitting around my apartment looking for a job, but I can't believe how long the last three months have seemed. Even when I visited Ohio a few weeks ago for my cousin's wedding, I felt like I hadn't been home for months and months. I was shocked that everything was still so familiar. My parents haven't even done anything with my old bedroom yet! And then I remembered it had only been about 9 weeks since I left.

Here is a gratuitous photo of my family from the wedding. I love big group pictures like this.



My last day at Target was the day before I left, and I started my new job the day after I got back. I'm enjoying it a lot, so even though it took me so long to find a job it looks like everything worked out the way it was supposed to. I think my new schedule is going to help me settle into a routine, and I am nothing if not a creature of habit. Also helping: primetime television returned this week, and I'm pretty sure my roommate and I became friends over a mutual love of three things, one of which is good tv. (The other two are beer and Bob Dylan.) It's a shame I didn't make more friends while we didn't have cable because I'm looking at my tv schedule and I'm thinking I won't have a lot of time for socializing until the end of Lost in May. In fact it's entirely possible that my next monthly update will consist of nothing but television show reviews I copied and pasted from other websites because I was too busy watching tv to write my own.
Actually, that's not true at all--I have done a lot of fun things recently and have quite a few planned ahead. Two weeks ago I went to Red Rocks Amphitheater for Monolith Music Festival. More impressive than the performances (which were, for the most part, all really good) was the venue itself. They are pretty strict about cameras, so I didn't try to take mine with me (from what I could gather, it looked like anything with a removable lens required a special photo pass). I think being out in the mountains in the gorgeous end-of-summer weather got to us, tomorrow we are going to Denver's Oktoberfest and Saturday night we are camping at Rocky Mountain National Park.

The camping idea seemed like a great one, until my roommate had a second good idea, which was to watch one scary movie every night in October. We've been Netflixing things like Dawn of the Dead and The Omen. Then Tuesday, when I mentioned that there were days in October when we absolutely won't be able to watch a movie, we decided to get one out of the way. And, stupidly, we chose The Blair Witch Project. A movie about people who are attacked while...camping.

I'm really looking forward to Saturday.

I still haven't hung anything on the walls in my room, but I did finally go get my new drivers license. So it's only taken me three months. That's not so bad.

No comments: