Wednesday, February 14, 2007

More excited about cancelled classes than getting a box of chocolate, for sure

I managed to survive the snow and sleet that was supposed to end the world. The university actually gave in and cancelled all classes from 4pm yesterday until 10am today. When I read the cancellation announcement emails, I imagined that whoever made the decision did so reluctantly, with lots of sighing and pained expressions.There was no real indication that this was the case, but I have always felt like they get some sick sort of pride out of not having cancelled classes in something like 18 years, and probably have a "No Class Cancellations for __ Years!" sign hanging in some secret corner of the administration building that they hate to have to start back at 0. Or maybe they have a hard time keeping track of the dry erase marker.

In other news, I find Valentine's Day to be an unremarkable holiday. Whenever I have a boyfriend, sure, it's fun to get flowers and those chalky hearts*, but all in all I'm just not impressed by it, whether I'm in a relationship or not. We're having an anti-Valentine celebration tonight, but I mostly just see it as an excuse to go have $1.99 margaritas for the fourth Wednesday in a row. (There was no excuse whatsoever for the first three, unless you count peer pressure, in which case there has been an excuse for EVERYTHING I've ever done.)


*Once I got a stuffed gorrilla. Yeah, I don't get it either, and I probably should have seen that as a sign of things to come. Ah, hindsight.

Update (8:58 pm): And NO, I don't feel completely pathetic sitting at home watching Coupling, and drinking wine. By myself.

No comments: