Wednesday, May 17, 2006

My Latest Drug of Choice

When I came home for Easter weekend, I made the decision to really own my bedroom. I've only really used this one a handful of times, and it had been sort of a catch-all for things we'd outgrown. I went on a crazy cleaning rampage that weekend that resulted in two bags of trash and twice as many bags of stuff for Goodwill.

Because of this, I have a lot more room to work with. I actually use my desk (which is more than I can say for the one in my apartment at school) and I brought in a t.v. and dvd player. I have made a realization in the past few days: These two pieces of equipment will contribute to my descent into hermit-ism.

I recently signed up for Netflix and now have about 70 movies lined up to rent. I didn't intend for it to reach quite that many, but the thing about Netflix is, it's just like Facebook. Or my Amazon wishlist. There's just always something new to look at.

And that is why I can't get anything productive done when I open my computer: I am addicted to netflix.com. It's not just clicking a few movies to have them sent. OH NO. You can rate every movie you've seen and they'll give you recommendations! Isn't that fabulous? I spend more time than I'm willing to admit just browsing movie titles. Plus, with my obsession with HBO shows came the desire to watch more television series, so about 15 dvds on my list are from tv: Dead Like Me, Nip/Tuck, Arrested Development...It's sick, but I can't help it. What else would be good to watch? I ask myself as I click through page after page of dvd title.

So if you can't find me this summer, it's probably because I'm glued to this computer screen reading movie plot synopses or tucked away in my room watching the first season of The Office. Or, quite possibly, I'll be doing both.

No comments: