Monday, April 10, 2006

Obviously unrequited love

Dear Car of Mine Which is Currently Sitting in the Spring Street Auto Garage,
Hi. We need to have a little chat.

What's the deal? I know you're getting old and I know you've got 115 thousand miles behind you. And I know you've got that annoying tire that won't stay full of air, and I know there's still that big rhubarb pie stain on the passenger seat (you've got to forgive me for that, I was like, too tired to breathe that weekend). But this is ridiculous. This is the fourth time I've had to have you checked out since September. FOURTH. And on only one of these occasions did you not require me to wait for a tow truck.

I feel like we need to have this talk for a couple of reasons. First, I need to drive you. Second, I don't enjoy being on a first-name basis with the tow truck guys. Third, if you were my boyfriend you'd be breaking my heart right now because I love you.

I love you because you get me places; mostly, you get me back home. And during those three hour drives I really feel like we bond. You're the only thing that fits into both my life at home and my life at school. And I've never said anything negative about you, even when everyone else is making fun of that weird sound in the back seat. You know the one, it sounds like something is about to fall off the car. I know it's alright. I always tell people that it's just part of who you are, and that we've had it checked out.

Now I realize I'm not the most thoughtful car owner. I'm not a terribly skilled driver and let's be honest, I have no idea how you work. But I try to treat you right. I check your oil and I always squeegee the windows when I get gas. I even spend 50 cents every week to keep that one tire full of air. That's dedication. Those are precious parking meter quarters I'm giving you.

So let's step it up, okay? Keep yourself together. I'm trying my hardest; now it's time for you to hold up your end of the deal. I'd rather not be left without you.

lots of love,
Loren

No comments: