Sunday, January 29, 2006

It was a great weekend, y'all

Everytime I visit a Southern state I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about Southern Drawl. I love it. I don't really know why, I just know that I do. I went to Huntington, West Virgina this weekend, and when we sat down for dinner last night my friend said, "This isn't the South. We're too far North."

But I disagree. And here are the reasons why Huntington, WV, is in fact Far Enough South.
  1. At both restaurants where we ate, our waitresses (who had Southern accents) didn't say "what can I get you guys to drink?." They said, "Can I get y'all a lemonade or sweet tea?"
  2. The sweet tea? It was REALLY sweet.
  3. Everything was sort of...dirty.
  4. Everything was sooooo muuuuuch sloooooower. Especially the service at our restaurants.
  5. Although I didn't try it out, I'm sure no one would have minded if I'd said "y'all."
  6. There were weird signs. Things like "Unique Health Care Center: Legitimate Health Care Services" and "[Restaurant name I forget]: Home of the famous Mo."
What is a Mo? Why would you want your health care to be unique? Why do these people live so close to me, yet still require more sugar than tea in their beverages? And perhaps most importantly, why do I secretly love it?

No comments: