Sunday, May 30, 2004

Graduating

I spent today at my cousin Anna's graduation party. I had a good time, talking with my family, playing DDR (oh, that deserves another blog entry to itself), and seeing all of my cousin's accomplishments. It reminded me of my own graduation party last year, and how far I have come since then.

Last year, I was minus my amazing grandma. Minus my high school. I was less than a month away from being minus my boyfriend of a year and a half. I was minus all the security I had ever had. It was scary.

But then, I was also minus a whole lot of great things: trips to New York City, Mobile, and Colorado Springs. Episodes with boys whose names start with K. All the self-reliance I'd had as a sophomore in high school that I'd let myself give up--I got that back. I was minus a great relationship with my brother and lots of great friends that I'd never want to give up. I was even minus the ability to skillfully drive on a 4-lane highway.

So, to those of you who are graduating: it's kind of like that saying, "When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened." Go out and experience what life has to offer for you in the next year (and beyond). Be brave, be yourself. Be positive. And remember that like I always say, everything happens for a reason. Good luck.

No comments: