Sunday, July 31, 2011

New hobby number one billion: Hiking!

A few months ago I got into my head that I should climb a fourteener, and it made it onto the list of things I wanted to accomplish this summer. Adam, however, did not believe that I am capable of such a feat, so he suggested that to work up to a climb involving an elevation gain of over 3,000 feet by trying out some less challenging hikes.

Let's just say he still doesn't believe I can do it. (To be fair, I don't know if he believes he can do it, but the optimist in me still believes we both can!) However, I spent a hefty amount of money on a camelbak and hiking shoes, so hopefully my stubbornness will win out and by the end of next month we'll make it to the top of Gray's Peak (one of the easiest fourteeners to climb). Regardless, we've been on some really beautiful hikes in the last few weeks as part of this "working up to a 14er" plan. Today we hiked the Kruger Rock Trail at Hermit Park. It was a lot of fun, and steep enough for Adam to say, "see how hard this is? This is what 14ers are like." Blah blah blah. Anyway, see that rock at the top of the hill in this picture?

Bottom of Kruger Rock Trail

We hiked all the way up there. Well, I was scared I would fall if I actually climbed up onto that rock, but Adam did and he took this picture:

View from Kruger Rock

It was really gorgeous, so I guess even if I don't make it to the top of an especially tall mountain, I can be content with having gone on the wimpy hikes I've already done. But I still think we should try.

No comments: