Tuesday, November 04, 2008

On Election Day

The company I work for is an international company, and I work with a lot of people from other countries. One of my co-workers is from Great Britain, but recently she became an American citizen We threw a little party to celebrate with her. It quickly devolved into people asking her what she had to know to pass the citizenship test ("well, there were a lot of questions about who was defeated in the Revolutionary War!"), but I was charmed by the people from other countries--Peru, Spain, Australia, and Mexico--who had very nice things to say about a country that wasn't theirs. I think I most enjoyed hearing someone say that they had a lot of respect for the United States because it has brought so much good will to the world.

I know there are a lot of Americans who would disagree with that sentiment, but I think today, while the election is on everyone's mind, it is nice to reflect on how great our country is.

Alright, I'm done being mushy, and the bitchiness will once again commence tomorrow.

No comments: