Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Paranoid

I had to pick up my sister from driver's (drivers'? drivers?) ed last night, and because she is the slowest person I've ever met, she was the last person to leave. Seriously, you might think you know someone slower, but you don't. I picked her up last week, and it took her at least 30 seconds to get down three steps, across the sidewalk, and into the car. This was AFTER I had sat and honked the horn at her, but before she had to go back in because she'd forgotten something. Did I mention I wasn't parked, I was stopped on the road? In front of the building where new drivers are supposed to be learning safe and conscientious driving habits? Not that there's a lot of traffic in Loudonville at 9 o'clock on a Wednesday night, but still. She ought to have hurried, you know?

Anyway, last night she had been talking to her instructor. He also happens to have been my instructor all those years ago, and when he saw me waiting he followed my sister out to the car. Luckily, last night I opted to find a parking spot, so that at least looked responsible. But as soon as he stuck his head in the window I panicked. Were my wheels straight? Were my lights on? Could he see that I was wearing my seatbelt? Was I parked close enough to the curb?

And then I realized that all he wanted to do? Just say hello.

No comments: