Tuesday, January 01, 2008

It's over: A year in review.

All in all, 2007 was not a bad year. Most notably, it is the year that I graduated from college and got my first real job. In the context of the everyday, this doesn't seem like such a big deal, but in the Game of Life, these are the things that earn you LIFE bonus tiles. In other words, it's right up there with having a family game night and watching a sunset. I am totally on the right track.

But seriously, I was trying to summarize the year 2007, and it went something like this: Freak out about graduating. Freak out about finding a job. Find a job. Freak out about ability to do this job. Graduate. Move home, be lonesome, get used to people welcoming me to "The Real World." Go to work. Spend a lot of time with my family. Go to work some more.

Of course these are sweeping generalizations but I'd say that's about how it went. Final decision: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars for 2007. No one likes to talk deductions, so we're not going into that. Instead, here are some of my favorite things about this year:

Best book I read: tie between 1984 and On Writing. Both really got into my brain and it's rare that I go more than a few days without thinking about one of them.

Best movie I saw: Another tie. Waitress, a little independent film about a pregnant, pie-making genius working at a small-town diner and Volver, a Spanish film about a woman and some crazy is-that-a-ghost-or-are-you-just-not-dead stuff. I recommend them both.

Best album I listened to: Icky Thump by the White Stripes was my favorite release, but I re-discovered Blonde on Blonde this fall and I haven't taken it out of my car since October.

Best place I visited: Last January I toured the Coors brewing factory, which was pretty amazing, but I think the award goes to San Francisco; specifically this speakeasy-themed bar we visited. I'm still daydreaming about rhubarb-flavored martinis.

Here's to 2008: May this year be a little less full of freaking out and a little more filled with updating this website.

No comments: