Monday, October 08, 2007

Transition

One of my friends once pointed out to me the formulaic nature of my posts here: "You set it up, you tell the story, you give the resolution. And you try to be clever about it." It's true. Although I probably can't do that anymore, now that I've come right out and admitted it.

I've been feeling guilty for writing so little lately. I signed up for NaBloPoMo again this year and I'm both excited for it and dreading it. Is there ANY way I will be able to find something to write about every single day? I can barely find anything to write about every week. Well, let me rephrase that: I can barely find anything to finish writing about.

The truth is that I've got more drafts sitting around than I know what to do with, and they all have one thing in common: they have no clever resolution, no little wrap-up paragraph that finishes the story. For example: I was looking for an apartment last week! And I called this lady, and she said to try back at the beginning of next month! So I said okay! And...I'm still looking!

Fascinating
.

I think the hardest thing about graduating was the departure from all things structured around a specific path. Five years ago, I knew where I would be in a year, or two, or three. Right now I don't even know where I'll be in six months. That's kind of exciting, I have to admit, and I love the freedom of it ("Hello, Loren, it's your friends, wanna go to Las Vegas in March?" "Um, only ABSOLUTELY, and p.s. being a grown up with a paying job is AMAZIING"). But with everything up in the air all the time, there isn't much resolution to be found. I can't even find a good way to end this paragraph.

No comments: