Monday, January 22, 2007

If they play that depressing song by The Fray, I'm totally leaving.

A few months ago I started reading websites through an RSS feed, which has changed my life in several ways, one of which is that I read a ridiculous amount of website posts each day. Another is that I have come across a lot of interesting sites that otherwise I never would have kept up with. One of them is BuzzFeed, and the best way to describe it is that it is an internet trend aggregator, pulling together the best stories about a current trend. Today one of their posts was about how today is the most depressing day of the year. Although I've mentioned this before, I had forgotten about the whole thing, as silly as it might sound. Still, I cannot tell you how relieved I was when I read it. I've been feeling a little down lately, so it's good to know that it can't get worse than right now. And today's half over! So that's something!

If I were feeling worse, the music on the radio may have put me over the edge today. Two of the songs I've heard I had to sing in high school choir (Ain't No Mountain High Enough and Build Me Up Buttercup, GAG), and the rest--which included Can You Feel The Love Tonight*--made me a little sick to my stomach. I am clearly a WOXY kind of girl. The paradox is, once the rest of the world became WOXY people, I would probably be disinterested, and complain about how hard it was to find soft rock anywhere.

*They've played this song twice in the two and a half hours I've been at work, and I'm a little confused about it. Also, I keep thinking about this "kings and vagabonds" commentary I read the other day.

2. I have officially decided not to go to graduate school, and so the job search has begun. So far I have applied for jobs in Denver, Colorado and Akron, Ohio. The Denver application was an accident, as in I accidently hit APPLY FOR THIS JOB. So sorry about that, wherever it was I applied, because that's probably not the best version of my application you could have gotten, especially since there was no cover letter. Mom, Dad, is there room in the basement for your flaky daughter?

3. I was watching some old Office episodes last night, and during the episode The Fire they play the game Desert Island, and each person had to list the three books and five movies he or she would take if stranded on a desert island. I decided to put too much thought into the scene and came up with these books:
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
  • Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger
  • any one of those Great American Short Stories of the Year anthologies.
And these movies:
  • Meet Me in St. Louis
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
  • Can't Hardly Wait
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Toy Story 2
What are your Desert Island picks? I had to really think about it, although I think there are harder lists to make, like what 5 albums you'd take. I could pretty easily tell you what I wouldn't take, and the answer to that is anything playing on Warm 98 today.

No comments: