Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Oh what a laugh it would have been, if I had only gotten the joke


Your Christmas Song Is


I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

Then I saw mommy tickle santa claus
Underneath his beard so snowy white
Oh, what a laugh it would have been
If daddy had only seen
Mommy kissing santa claus last night

At Christmas, you feel like a kid again
Complete with major Christmas eve insomnia


Christmas carols are probably my favorite thing about the holiday season, so when I saw this quiz, I had to take it. I don't even think it's really a quiz, to tell you the truth, because all you do is tell it if you've been naughty or nice this year.

However, after much consideration I feel that this is my Christmas carol. First, there's that weird, fortune-esque line at the bottom which is strangely applicable (you mean there's another night this year I won't be able to sleep?).

And then there's the choice of this particular song. I've never been a big fan of it, but I suppose as far as silly internet personality quizzes this song does a good job of helping me explain a little bit about one of my less-desirable personality traits. I was in high school (it may have even been college, I can't quite remember) by the time I figured out that Mommy wasn't being unfaithful. Because Santa? (SPOILER ALERT) He doesn't exist! And Mommy was actually kissing DADDY! The irony is rich here, is it not?

I'm embarrassed to admit that it took me this long to get it, but I think there are several reasons why:
1. Hello? I sang this when I was in Kindergarten. At this point in my life, I still believed that there was a man who broke into my house and brought me presents. The idea that I was mistaking my father for this gift-giving stranger was not something I ever considered.

2. I spent a lot of time when I was little using strange, child-like logic to reason things through. I'm pretty sure I made some strange sort of peace with this song and went along my way, singing it each December without further considering its subject matter. Even after someone referenced its meaning. (Oh, did I fail to mention that I came to this realization myself?)

3. WHO WRITES A CHRISTMAS CAROL ABOUT SANTA BEING FAKE???

So if you were wondering about this eye for detail I have? This is a good example of what I've got going on in the intelligent observations department.

No comments: