Friday, November 10, 2006

Favorite Friday: Live in Concert

Today I'm leaving for Chicago to see The Decemberists in concert. The last time I was in Chicago I had one of the best weekends of my college career, so I'm hoping the next three days don't disappoint. Anyway, here are some tracks from the bands I've seen live this year, all of which are fantastic.

At the beginning of the summer, we bought tickets to see The Raconteurs in August. During the three months we waited, and waited, and waited, listening to their album and loving it. It was the most fun concert I've ever been to. And at the end? I caught Patrick Keller's drumstick. It was awesome.
The Raconteurs - Intimate Secretary.m4a

This band was pretty great to see live, too. I've loved them since I first heard this song last spring, and I couldn't have been more excited when they finally came to Ohio in October.
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood.mp3

This band and the next opened for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and not only were they fun to watch, but they were all adorably geeky.
Takka Takka - We Feel Safer at Night.mp3

I also saw Architecture in Helsinki, but I can't find any .mp3's of theirs online (and right now I'm feeling particularly law-abiding). BUT you can check out this 3Hive article if you're interested. I'm a fan.

In the same vein, I also saw The Strokes, which should not go unmentioned. Here's an acoustic cover of Reptilia, which I really, really enjoy, and if you like it there are a couple more of Howie Beck's tracks over at Stereogum, where I got this one.
Howie Beck - Reptilia.mp3

And finally, the band I'll be seeing tomorrow night. This is a track from their new album, The Crane Wife, and it's pretty good.
The Decemberists - O Valencia!.mp3

No comments: