Saturday, August 12, 2006

My iPod may be cute but it just isn't big enough anymore

One of the first things I did this summer was take a trip to the Rock Hall with two of my friends who have a much more extensive knowledge of rock music history than I do. I'd been there several times before, but having to read every sentence about every single thing was exhausting, and to be honest I just didn't really get it. When I went with these two, though, it was more about having a conversation about everything and less about reading about it. And it was probably the most I've ever learned at a museum.

So this summer, then, was really about building my music collection after learning what influenced the Beatles, and who Leadbelly is, and where Seattle grunge fits in to the rest of rock music. I spent a lot of time making big decisions in Best Buy aisles, listening to my friends' iTunes collections, and driving around in my car learning new song lyrics. So here is the soundtrack that has evolved throughout the last three months. I've even made it so you can download them (until I have to delete them and use the space for, oh, I don't know, school work probably).

1. Gimme Some Salt, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
2. Jackson, Johnny Cash
3. Jolene, Cake
4. Subterranean Homesick Blues, Bob Dylan
5. Oh Boy!, Buddy Holly
6. Anysound, The Vines
7. Save Ginny Weasley, Harry and the Potters (probably the best song ever, especially the part when he asks if you're "petrified of being petrified") (seriously, you should visit their myspace)
8. C'est Si Triste, Ann Savoy from The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood soundtrack
9. Holidays in the Sun, The Sex Pistols
10. Intimate Secretary, The Raconteurs
11. Age of Consent, New Order
12. Neighborhood #3 (Power Out), The Arcade Fire

No comments: