Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Dear people in charge of marketing Little Miss Sunshine,

I'm just going to come out and say it: I think you are doing a terrible job.

1. Why isn't this film in more theaters? I had to drive 45 minutes to see it (a MONTH after it was released!) and pay $7.75 for my ticket. Perhaps this is why you managed to be the 3rd-highest grossing film last weekend--you force us to go to expensive, exclusive theaters. I don't know, but I can tell you that if it were nearby and less expensive, I would probably see this movie multiple times.

2. "Where's Olive?" is the worst. tagline. ever. Sure, this does appear in the movie, and yes, it makes sense once you've seen it, but I'm not kidding when I say this: Because this movie poster




hung in my local theater (where, by the way, this film is NOT YET PLAYING) for the past nine months, I thought a new Popeye movie was going to be released, and in this movie Olive Oyl would be missing, sending Popeye on an adventure full of wacky hijinks and spinach cans. This, however, is not the case, and I blame your lack of advertising skills for my mistake.

3. I know you think you're all indie-fabulous and I dig that, but I think during your ad campaign I was bombarded with five internet ads for every trailer I saw on television. Most people don't know what your movie is about; even the friends I dragged to the theater with me were a little unsure what they were about to see. So: don't just be like, "yeah we're sooooo thankful for the internet buzz" because I don't think that's what's happening here. You paid for the buzz. So be indie or don't, but be honest with yourself.

4. I heart this movie. It was the best thing I saw in theaters all summer, and I even saw Snakes on a Plane. I will buy the dvd--just don't sell it for $35 and force me to watch pop-up ads in the weeks before its release.

Love,
Loren

No comments: