Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Things that kept me sane this summer

Tonight will be my last night alone in my house--I leave tomorrow afternoon for Colorado, and then Christina will be here. Plus, we're also moving upstairs to my actual apartment when we get back, so it's my last night in my room, too.

I can't believe how fast this summer went, although I do remember feeling like I was so bored that I would never make it until Oxford had people in it again. So, here are all the things I did that kept me occupied.

Warning: I watched too much tv in the past three months.

Diet Cherry Coke. It's the best diet soda they make. I think the taste of it might always remind me of Oxford in the summer, because I'm pretty sure I went through three or four cases of it.

Trips to the movies. Just because I wasn't with the boys from the pool doesn't mean I didn't go see movies this summer--it's been pretty good for me. We even hit the drive-in once for Batman Begins.

My book list. I read a lot this summer. Although I didn't read too many from said list (only 5), I did read a total of 12. And I think that's pretty good--about one a week (minus the sick time in May).

Fairly Odd-Parents. This is my guilty-pleasure cartoon. I don't know if I was just lucky or what, but I'm not kidding when I say that whenever I felt like watching it, it was on. Seriously, all I had to do was turn to Nickelodeon and there was an episode I'd never seen before. And it was funny.

my iPod. Walking across campus at 8:45 am wasn't so bad once I had that. Plus, I can just leave my cd's in my car now. And look trendy. And do all the other things people do with their iPods. Although I think it mostly kept me sane because I spent so much time putting music on it.

TLC. I always liked Trading Spaces, but I would totally stuff my house with junk just so I could be on Clean Sweep. I loooooove that show. People are packrats! And the carpenter is so hot, especially when he does that thing at the beginning of the show where he puts the paint colors on the wall with his hand. Ahh...

Knitting/embrodering/cross-stitching/etc. I got some knitting needles and an instruction book for Christmas, but it wasn't working out so well. Then this summer I actually completed a scarf which I think I could wear in public. Not too shabby. I also finished embroidering one of a set of two matching pillow cases, and spent some time on one of my older cross-stitching projects. Yeah I did feel like a grandma, funny you should ask.

vh1 Celebreality. Kept. Strip Search. Celebrity Fit Club 2. The Surreal Life. Hogan Knows Best. I can't help it. They're like train wrecks, I just can't stop watching. VH1, what would I do without you? Probably something more intelligent, but less enjoyable. Or just knit.

And last but absolutely not least, Brendan. I had the crowd at Candlewood who were lots of fun too, but Brendan and I were together all the time and I would have gone crazy if he hadn't been around to make Father's Day cards with me or let me watch all his movies. Or watch vh1 with me. Or make dinner together. Or go to Barnes & Noble, or introduce me to the entire town of West Chester. Or loan me good cd's, or go shopping, or go on walks. Or, you know, watch some more vh1.

It was a good summer. But it will be good next week as people start coming back.

No comments: