Monday, August 01, 2005

I finished this post and thought, this is just one big digression that results in talk of reality tv.

I have a confession to make before we go any further.

I think it would be nice to date someone who knows his way around a computer; specifically, I would like to date a guy who could design me a very nice webpage.

There are lots of other critera to meet, of course (which is probably why I am not dating anyone right now...hmm...), but this is relevant to the following story.

The office where I work is in the basement of the technology building on campus, and on the top floor is the Technology Services help desk. That means if you are having trouble with your computer, you can call these guys and they will help you. Because they know lots of stuff about computers. Because they are what we would call, "computer geeks."

Now, computer geeks, I am assuming, would be able to meet the criteria design me a pretty little website, NOW! as well as be supportive of the fact that I like to write in my blog. That's good for them, but there are some other critera that I'm afraid they would not meet, such as have social skills or have a sense of style. Yeah, blah blah blah, I know I am a heartless bitch, thank you. Now, before they find this on the internet and come downstairs to berate me and/or infect my computer with viruses (viruses I would not be able to get rid of without their help, I'm sure), let me tell you why.

I went upstairs on Friday to have them check some things for our office. While I was waiting (it took forever) I checked out the room. It's a big office that's blocked off into cubicles, so you can't see much except for the front desk, a dry erase board, one person's computer, and the things hanging from the ceiling. Those things are: A little Dilbert flag, six or seven pieces of (hopefully fake) toast, and a Pokemon (the little yellow famous one? Pekachu I think?) with a parachute. So it was really strange. To add to the strangeness, on the dry erase board was a pretty good Strongbad drawing and at the computer was a boy who was playing a game. And you just KNOW that the game was something like Halo or World of Warcraft or maybe a computer version of Dungeons and Dragons.

Now, to each his own and all that jazz, but I see potential in these guys. Oh, sure, I can hear you laughing at me right now, but really, if I could just change a few (absolutely) key things about them, it would be perfect. I'm sure they are nice, and given a little makeover they could pass for cute. Good-looking, even. It would just take some work. And getting to know them.

How would I do this? Well, I think I need to somehow find a way to go upstairs more often. The catch is, though, that I can't seem completely computer illiterate or it will turn into one of those situations like the SNL skit with the computer tech guy who has no patience. And I'm not sure how to do that. But once I figure it out, it's going to be like a TLC special up there: a mix of that older show where they teach you how to date and What Not To Wear wrapped into one. At that point, I will get to pick one and it will be like The Bachelorette. Why am I not calling Fox to get this made into a show??? I am a reality tv genius.

No comments: