Thursday, July 07, 2005

You Oughta Know

Yesterday at 4:28, some girl called who was mad about her service. Fine. I dealt with it but didn't get to leave at 4:30 when we actually close but instead at 4:45. No big deal. Then I got home and realized that I have locked myself out. Awesome. I called my landlord, who had just left the house fifteen minutes ago and was now on the way home. So, if the girl had not called, I would have been fine.

Grr.

I drove to Ross, OH, which is about 20 minutes away from here. I was not very happy. I was really mad at myself for forgetting my keys, and mad at the girl who WOULD NOT ACCEPT that sorry, Time Warner is charging us so we have to charge you. I was mad at myself for thinking it was a good idea to live here over the summer. And then, of course, the inevitable happened and I started thinking about every single thing that I could possibly think to be angry about, and specifically all the things I could be angry at myself about.

At this point, I put in Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill cd and wallowed in how unfit a person I am.

Well that only lasted about ten (okay, maybe fifteen) minutes before I told myself to suck it up. It is SO EASY to be unhappy and complain, and I will be the first to admit that I am able to do my fair share of whining. But this is not about the inner workings of my psyche, so I am going to change directions.

I decided that it was not so bad. Just in general, things are not bad. It was not bad that I was patient with the girl on the phone and got things fixed up. It was not bad that I was locked out, because of the key situation at my house: We have two doors, but I only have one key. Since I got the other key from my landlord, I was able to make a copy of the key and now I have one to each door, which is way more convenient. It is not bad that I am on my own; I mean, really, it isn't--pickle jars and all, I do like playing homemaker even if it is only for myself.

So I put away my Alanis cd and I'm hoping I don't need it for at least the rest of the summer. Although I guess she started touring again, performing all the songs from Jagged Little Pill, only acoustically. Which just can't be as good. Now there's someone who was served well by being totally pissed off.

No comments: