Sunday, June 20, 2004

Vacation 2: The Florida Adventure

Although I had a great time the past two weeks, I have to tell you that it wasn't quite as adventurous as the trip to Colorado. After a roughly 20-hour-long drive, we made it to Orlando, Florida, city of theme parks. Our hotel was nice. I'm talking, even I was willing to walk into the bathroom without wearing shoes. We went to Universal Studios for three days (more like two-and-a-half), that was fun. There were an awful lot of 3D rides/attractions and you know what? I have discovered that I really dislike 3D entertainment. Do I want evil villains throwing fireballs at my face? No. Do I like it when people sneeze and I feel the "snot" (a.k.a. water sprayed from some cleverly hidden contraption) hit me? No. Not at all. Evidently I am the only person in the world who feels this way because everyone else seemed to enjoy it. Whatever, guys.

We spent our last day in Orlando at Disney World's Magic Kingdom. I would like to point out that the summer happens to be a fairly heavy tourist time for Disney World, and obviously if I know that, so should they. So, Michael Eisner...What's the deal? Why would you close It's a Small World for repairs in JUNE??? WHY? I was disappointed. Probably this was mostly because it was hot and muggy and that ride is a kind of long, sit-down, non-3D ride that is cool and relaxing. Oh well. I did eat at Tony's, which is a tribute to the movie Lady and the Tramp, one of my very favorites. I also got some pretty cute Alice in Wonderland stuff.

Orlando was fun, and then we decided to head for Ormond Beach where my mom's cousin Sandy lives. We stayed on the beach, but I had gotten something like sun poisoning a few days before we got there so I opted to stay out of the sun. Instead, I went shopping with Anna, visited with Sandy, and found other things to do.

Grandpa and I enjoyed our trip home in our first-class comfort. I did have some trouble in the airports, however, and because I feel that this is the most blog-worthy event of the trip that I can remember at the moment, I am going to go ahead and share it with you.

Erin and I had to go to the bathroom before I got on the plane, so we decided to go find a restroom. We did, but it was the men's and I was walking into a stall before Erin said, "Loren, this is a BOYS bathroom!" Needless to say, we were both very embarrassed as we walked out. Then, after my flight, I decided to make a stop at the Cleveland airport restroom. But when I tried to leave, I couldn't get the door to open. The handle was turning but not moving the little thing holding the door shut. And there was no way I was crawling on that nasty floor to get out. So I stood there for a few minutes banging on the door and trying to get the stupid thing to open. I finally did, and I really hope none of the women standing in the bathroom thought I was too weird. I couldn't help that the door was broken.

So, now I'm back at home, settling in for the rest of the summer. The rest of the fam is stopped for a few days in Savannah, GA, so Christy, Jimmy and I are here without any parents. Coincidentally, we also have no food and my car has no gas. We also have no money with which to buy these things, because it is Sunday and I can't cash my paychecks. Hehe. Should be fun.

No comments: