Sunday, February 15, 2004

What a wonderful weekend I had! I decided that since I had a long weekend, I would drive down to Portsmouth, Ohio, to visit my friend Monica at Shawnee State University. So, on Friday afternoon I hopped in my car and started driving. I learned two things on this drive. The first is that mapquest.com is not always right. The second is that it is a proven fact that it is not a driving trip with Loren unless at some point in time you are going the wrong way. Because the map said get onto 72 south (which makes no sense anyway, since even numbered roads don't GO south, they go east or west), I drove right past 73--taking note that it was there, but making sure that 72 wasn't right down the road or something. It wasn't.
However, at this point in time, the roads have become hilly and secluded--we're talking, the edge of the mountain range you know. It was a very pretty drive and I'm sure it would have been even better if it were any other season. So I drove about ten more miles and decided that I might run out of gas if I didn't turn around and a) get to portsmouth and b)get to some sort of civilized place where they had cell phone reception. Of course, when I finally got back to the 73 intersection, no one I called felt like answering the phone to give me any advice, so down 73 I drove. Finally my sister answered the phone at my house, and *click* there goes my phone service. I was heading down this forest- and hill-lined road all alone and with 1/4 tank of gas. Soon, I began to see houses, and then a ball park, and I thought, good--phone service! But no. Evidently from the intersection of 32 and 73 untill Portsmouth no one uses Verizon phones. I had happened upon the town of Ramden, and decided to get some gas from McAllister's Quick Stop. I pulled up to the pump, and I can safely say that that was the oldest gas pump I have ever used, and I'm sure anyone who saw me standing there, trying to figure out how to get this thing to give me gas was laughing so hard they were crying. I finally figured it out and went inside to pay and ask for directions. Yes, I was on the right road. I finally got there, about 45 minutes later than I should have. But oh well. At least I made the right decision about turning onto 73.
The rest of the weekend was lots of fun, meeting all of Monica's wonderful friends, including half of the boys from 9 next door and most of the cross country team. I had a pretty non-conventional Valentine's Day, which I spent with Monica, Todd, and Will at the mall. On the way back, we played pediddle. I think that Monica and I lost, but those people down there seemed to keep their headlights in pretty good condition so it wasn't TOO bad. Besides, I am not one to lose that game. I can spot 'em a mile away.
So, now I'm back in Oxford, writing papers and studying for the week ahead. It's looking to be a busy one so this will either be the last post for a while or one of many that I write while I try to avoid studying etc. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

No comments: