Thursday, February 12, 2004

Think of a classic movie. Don't read anymore until you do.


Got it? Okay. If you thought of something older than you are, you can keep reading. If not, please stop here or forgive me for ripping on you.

So, I am taking Honors Great Ideas in Western Music. It is an interesting group of people. There are some nice people, and some people with really good personalities, and then there are some other people that I just don't understand. For example, when I passed this one girl on the sidewalk the other day, I thought I would say hi. She, however, did not pay any attention to me and kept walking right by. I was a little offended. So then the next day in class, she shows up with these highlights that look like she colored her hair with a red marker.

It gets better.

So, we're talking about classical music today in class, and my prof says, "What do you think of when you hear the word 'classic?'" She got answers like classic cars, classic rock, classic novels, and then anti-social highlight girl goes, "Classic movies." And my prof says, "yes, that's good. Can you give an example?"

She says, "Yeah. Wayne's World is definitely a classic for our generation."

She looked around the room for us to...I don't know, agree with her or something. We all just sat there and looked at her like she was nuts. Don't get me wrong, I think Wayne's World is a great movie. When talking about classic cars and classic clothing....I don't know. I'm just not seeing Wayne and Garth up there with 1965 Mustangs, War and Peace, and The Beatles. Then someone said, "And, you know, Casablanca is too..." After that, everyone started nodding.

So, in short, don't be that guy. Know your classics, and know your audience.

No comments: