Thursday, June 20, 2013

No good deed...

I bought a Fitbit last week, and (as I tend to do with this kind of thing) I've become obsessed with meeting a goal of 10,000 steps per day. Since I sit at a desk all day, I spend a lot of time in the evenings making up for lost time by walking aimlessly around our house, or marching while I brush my teeth, or jogging in place while I microwave leftovers. On days when I don't go to the gym, I probably do all three of those things.

Anyway, yesterday I had a dentist appointment after work, and I decided that I'd just walk there and back, which would net me about three miles worth of steps. The closer I got to the dentist's office, the itchier my eyes became. I sneezed while waiting for my appointment to begin, but by the time I left I was doing better. I'm a veteran allergy sufferer, so I know how to ride this kind of thing out. But when I started my walk home, a particularly strong gust of wind blew and I saw a yellow cloud of pollen shake out from a pine tree. I knew that my walk was likely to become a lot less pleasant.

By the time I got home, I had all my steps (and more!) in for the day, but I was a sneezy mess. Despite taking all the allergy medicine I could, I was still awake half the night, alternating between sneezing and blowing my nose. Today, I am pretty sure that the soreness I feel in my chest and back is from the muscles I use to sneeze. 

So this is what I get for trying to think of my health: Bad health.

No comments: