Thursday, July 10, 2008

Maybe he's tricking me

Sometimes when I am feeling upset, it makes me feel better to bake something. I have a very specific memory from the summer before I went to college: I was upset (probably about leaving), and I was having a hard time falling asleep. By 4am, I had baked a cake, a pan of lemon bars, and a batch of chocolate chip cookies.

And I didn't eat any of it. That's another effect of my stress, when I'm anxious I don't eat. So my family really won out in that situation.

Trying to find a job has been pretty stressful, so during the last few weeks I have been baking a lot again. Unfortunately, the stress of job searching has been compounded by the stress of trying to figure out how to bake at a high altitude. Which hasn't been too bad: I've been pretty successful with everything I've attempted. But my trusty chocolate chip cookie recipe, it just won't turn out right, no matter what I try. (Did you realize that there are so many things to tweak up here?)

But you know who I think is really winning in this situation? My roommate. And I'm confused, because he eats everything I make, but then, the next day, he's got the last three cookies in his hand and he's all, "I think you need to try again. You need some more practice."

No comments: