Monday, June 16, 2008

Bonnaroo! You should have been there.

I got back from Bonnaroo this morning at 8:30. We left yesterday afternoon and drove through the night. I had planned on sleeping as soon as I got home, but as luck would have it, the roof of my house is being replaced today. Which has made it a little difficult to find anywhere quiet.

I assumed that I was so tired this morning I would be able to fall asleep, pounding on the roof or not. Shouldn't a person who hasn't slept in over 24 hours be able to do that? I had also had a rough time sleeping on the trip.* I have said before that I'm a terrible sleeper, and when everyone else took a nap in our hotel room Wednesday afternoon (we left for the campsite early Thursday morning), I lay there wide awake, knowing that if I couldn't sleep on the most comfortable bed in Tennessee in an air-conditioned room, there was no way I'd be able to sleep in a tent, on the ground, through a hot, humid southern night.

I was mostly right, except there was also a hot, humid, rainy southern night.

So now I am exhausted and unable to get myself to fall blissfully asleep. I know that the problem is and has been the imminent MOVE ACROSS AMERICA, but just knowing this information has not made my body any more willing to cut me some slack and just FALL ASLEEP ALREADY.

Bitching and sleepiness aside, I had an amazing time. Some of my photos are up on Flickr, if you'd like to take a look. I am not much of a camper but I have to admit that I didn't mind being filthy and sweaty as much as I'd anticipated. I did nearly cry in the shower this morning it felt so good to be really, truly clean, but while we were there I didn't mind at all. I was in good company listening to good music, so really how can you not enjoy that? Even sleep deprivation couldn't get in the way. It was the best vacation ever.



*I had only one satisfying bout of sleep in the last week. On Thursday morning, we woke up at 4 and left for the Bonnaroo campgrounds. We were there and set up pretty early, so by the afternoon we were all pretty tired. I, of course, was the only one who was not able to sleep through the hottest part of the day. I did, however, manage to fall asleep on the grass at the Vampire Weekend show that night. And HOLY LORD it was the best sleep I can remember getting in the last month. I'm sorry, Vampire Weekend. I did not mean to fall asleep, you were one of the bands I was most excited to see, it's just that, well, I was really tired.

No comments: