Thursday, May 15, 2008

Road Trips

A week from tomorrow, I am flying out to Denver for the weekend to go apartment hunting.

Because people? I have a big month ahead of me.

First of all, I'm quitting my job. My last day of work is June 10th, which is approximately 26 days away. I really like what I'm doing right now, and I'll be sad to leave, but I think it's going to be worth it.

The next day, I'm heading to Tennessee with a few friends for Bonnaroo. I even bought a cowboy hat, because I wanted something that would actually shade my whole face and Bonnaroo seems to be the kind of place where you can pull off a cowboy hat (or, um, anything, really).

When I get back from Bonnaroo, I'll be something 6 days and a 20-hour drive away from residence in Denver, Colorado.

This is how it all started:
In December, I got it in my head that I'd make a pretty good librarian. I started looking at Library and Information Science graduate programs, and the University of Denver happened to have one. What luck! As it was a school I'd looked at during my senior year of college for a different program. I'd liked the school a lot, but the program wasn't what I was looking for.

Although I'd missed the application deadline, I thought I'd look back into it in a year and apply to start taking courses in the fall of 2009. I figured I'd move to Colorado as soon as I found out if I was accepted into the program and take it from there.

But in March, between my trip to Colorado Springs and a trip to Cincinnati two weeks later, I somehow came to the conclusion that it would be a good idea to just go NOW. And then I had this conversation with my friend Adam:

"I think I'm moving to Denver."

"That sounds awesome. I should go too."

"Okay, well, I think I want to leave in June, so you can come then too."

"Sweet. We can be roommates."

"Yeah, ha ha, okay well I am serious. Let's talk about how much fun Bonnaroo is going to be now."

And then suddenly the two of us were quitting our jobs and buying plane tickets to go look for apartments. I'm still not sure I believe we're doing it. But I'm feeling like June can't get here soon enough.

No comments: