Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Completely Unfounded (A Confession)

I have this fear that I cannot overcome, and if you can't talk about your fears around Halloween, then when can you?

Mostly, I think it's more of an obsessive-compulsively learned habit. I heard on a children's television show once that it was lucky to put your left shoe on before your right. There was even a little rhyme, and I think it was supposed to be an Irish thing or something. I really was so young that I can't even remember the show or the context or anything. What I did remember for the better part of two decades was that I would have bad luck if that left shoe didn't go on before the right.

Seriously, I always put on my left shoe first. Always. It's become subconscious; I only notice I'm doing it when I have to go out of my way to get to my left shoe first (like, it's halfway under the bed or I accidently pick up the right wrong one). I get a little panicky until my left foot is safely shod.

But, that's not really a fear. My fear is a little more out there (if that is at all possible). Remember that urban legend that said if you stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom, and all the lights were out, you could see Bloody Mary? Again, I'm unsure about the specifics, but I will not go into a bathroom unless the lights are on. Even if it's the middle of the night, and I know it's going to hurt my eyes, and it's just going to make it harder to find my way back to bed.
Oh, well, great. I just Wikipediaed* Bloody Mary Folklore and that's just awesome, because now I'm going to be even more aware of the fact that mirrors? In the dark? They make you see ghosts.

And I guess I answered my own question about when (not) to talk about fears.

*Can I use that as a word yet? Like Googled?

No comments: