Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Things I thought about today at the library

1. My planner is missing, and has been missing since Thursday. Today after looking all over the library, I have given up. I always thought that INTERNET belonged in the #1 spot on my list of addictions, but what's actually written there is CALENDAR CHECKING. I can't tell you how lost I feel without those little boxes telling me what I'll be doing each day for the rest of the year. It's funny when you realize the things you're most dependent on, but also a little bit scary.

2. My absentee ballot, which I sent for a month ago, never came in the mail. I usually enjoy feeling superior on Election Day because I have always been good about voting. Today, however, I was forced to stumble through my excuse every time someone asked about voting. This is just another glaring example of how I often sense the presence of Karma in my life, yet rarely experience it in its "good" form. I guess I need to work on that.

3. I saw a guy wearing a Green Monkeys t-shirt! YES! THOSE* Green Monkeys! I didn't get the opportunity to ask him if he was on the show, and if he was, did he win a pack of Nerds or maybe a sweet pair of Sketchers? But I spent a great deal of time during my next class thinking about this. Then I wrote this paragraph and Googled "Hidden Temple" and wow. I am a little floored by how many results there are. And also? I found a site where you can buy the shirts. Which after my afternoon exceptionally disappointing, but oh well, because I know someone who's getting a Blue Barracudas shirt for Christmas!

*Please visit this website, scroll down, and laugh at the person who wrote about how cool this show's "opstical" course was.**

**Probably why I don't see so much of the good Karma.

4. I have a class in the basement of the library, which is currently under construction. This has provided me with endless entertainment this semester (why yes, I am easily amused, why do you ask?) because there's something new going on every time I'm there. For the last two weeks, these small boxes have been accumulating. At first, there was just one neat pile of about 2oo boxes, but now I would say there are over a thousand. And I say that confidently, too, because I stopped to count them on my way into class today because I wanted to be able to say LOOK AT THIS! THOUSANDS OF BOXES!

This happens to be that first pile I told you about, which has now grown. There are three rooms full of boxes, as well as a long stretch of hallway. I am fascinated by these boxes partially because they are all labeled, and I want to know what's in them, and also because I'm absolutely thankful that I don't have anything to do with figuring out how to re-organize them. I honestly feel a sense of relief whenever I walk by.

No comments: