Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Sing and you will pass. Hopefully.

So, um, thanks for all the advice, guys. Anyway:

I had my first Italian 202 class today. I hadn't opened the book yet, but when we got there we started going through the exercises together. First, we read (in Italian, of course) the bio of some Italian who put nursery rhymes to music in the 60's and 70's. On the next page, we read some lyrics. Then, my professor pulled out a cd player.

And we listened to this guy sing with a bunch of little kids. Which was a little weird, sitting in a classroom listening to a song about how to have an apple you need a tree and to have a tree you need seeds. But then we realized that our professor was singing along.

And that she wanted us to sing along, too.

So we did, halfheartedly, a little embarrassed by the fact that she actually thought we were actually learning Italian through nursery rhymes and a little in shock that in a 200-level course we were singing children's songs.

After that was over we did some more exercises and although we thought we were in the clear, later she made us sing it without the aid of the cd in the backround. It was pitiful.

So it should be an interesting semester. Each section in our book is accompanied by a song just like the one we sang today, and even though I'm sure the discomfort of today will wear off, I don't think we're Glee Club material.

Let me be honest: I've only ever been able to speak one language and you're reading it right now. I'm not looking forward to struggling through ANOTHER semester of Italian. This is my fourth. However, the title of our book is Canta Che Ti Passa, which means "sing and it will pass." So I'm going to be optimistic and hope that I will pass because I can sing in any language. Even if I don't know what I'm talking about.

No comments: