Wednesday, November 23, 2005

And today I'm thankful for the Amish, because no other ethnic group provides me with so much material for this website

Right now, my parents and my aunt are cleaning a rhubarb pie off the kitchen floor. The pie slipped out of my mom's hands onto my aunt's kitchen floor. My aunt and mom are picking up pieces of the shattered pie plate, and my dad (upon finding out that the crash of pie plate was indeed that of the rhubarb pie and not the pumpkin or cherry) is on his hands and knees salvaging the few salvageable bites left. Yes. He is scraping smashed pie into a cereal bowl so he can have rhubarb pie with his Thanksgiving dinner.

Speaking of being thankful, in this moment I am thankful for two things: that the four dogs here are too worn out to be in the way (which, in all honesty, would have made the scene much more entertaining to watch), and that the three dogs we brought survived the trip.

A series of events (losing my grandpa and bad tires on our minivan, among other factors I'm sure) led to five people cramming into my dad's car along with a trunkful of Thanksgiving food, five overnight bags, and three small dogs. Not so bad, right? An hour with a dog on my lap? That's what I thought. And then I realized, Gee! There sure is a lot of snow on the ground! and Hey! Is that a car? Stuck in that ditch over there?

So one hour turned into five because they closed down every single major road going through Wayne County (which is really only two, because Amish people don't need major roads, and there I go again picking on those people again, but even though I don't feel bad AT ALL, I'll stop since it's a holiday, albeit one they probably don't observe), and we had to go waaaaay out of our way after driving on several back roads and sitting in several different instances of stopped traffic. With five people and three dogs. Speaking of the dogs and stopped traffic, guess who got to get out of the car in said stopped traffic twice to take the dogs out because WE WEREN'T COUNTING ON FOUR EXTRA HOURS OF DRIVING?

So that was an adventure! And it wasn't even Thanksgiving yet! What kind of holiday magic will the morning bring? I can barely wait...

p.s. while spellchecking this post (which I have probably only done on one other occasion, for reasons like the one I am about to give), the program stopped on Amish and wanted to correct it. So, what's going on? Aren't the Amish even REAL? What would I do if I didn't live minutes away from the largest Amish community in the world? I feel like I'm losing part of my identity. Honestly, not even in the spellcheck dictionary...

No comments: