Thursday, July 14, 2005

It's not okay to wear mittens in July, is it.

One of my most favorite things in the world is air conditioning. Oh, how I love it. I love, love, love it. Coming into a warm house in winter might feel nice but it does not compare with the joy I feel upon entering a house with central air in the middle of a hot (and humid, oh so humid) summer afternoon.

Guess what! I do not have air conditioning in my otherwise super wonderful house in Oxford. I have a semi-cooling window unit. (Which does nothing for the humidity.)

But actually my post is not about my house, because actually I have learned to cope with that by using lots and lots of box fans and sleeping at the foot of my bed where the fan reaches. It's not so bad.

However at work we have been having some AC issues. They have come to fix our system four or five times since I started working here and every time, about four hours after they leave, it shuts off and won't turn back on. But when they turn it on, they run it at like 60 degrees and my body! It has adjusted! It can't HANDLE 60 degrees anymore! (I suppose it's learned how to absorb water from the air and is getting 50% of its necessary liquids from the air, as well.) So when I dress for an 85 degree office setting but then end up getting a 60 degree office setting, well, it is not good. I get very cold.

I am in fact wearing a big sweatshirt right now which was, in fact, a big pain to carry to work because it is just that miserable, hot, and humid outside. I didn't want to even be near anything that was used to keep you warm.

But now, now I am not warm enough even though I actually wore shoes and socks today (I skipped the usual flip flops but that's another story) and have on the sweatshirt. And while I would not have stood to go without AC in the past, but I think about five minutes ago I said to myself, is it even okay to be THIS COLD in the middle of July!? And I don't know what's happening to me but I do know that I don't like it.

No comments: