Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Insomniatic Ramblings

Last year I never really wore my leather coat. It was either too cold, too warm, or not the right look. I did, however, wear it a lot in high school. I bought it on a leather coat shopping trip with Kurtis, wore it in one of my senior pictures, and generally liked it a lot. I mean, I still liked it last year but it just wasn't working out.

Anyway, today I decided to wear it, and that nice leather smell just took me right back to high school. Did you know that scent is the strongest sense linked to memory? It's proven. (I learned all about it in my Psych 111 class, I didn't just hear about it from that Old Spice commercial.)

It just got me thinking about how easily things in life can change. In an instant, things you never thought would or could change are gone and you're left to make the adjustment. They hand you that diploma and you're done. Someone makes a decision, someone goes away, someone shows up. Everything is different from then on, and there's nothing you can do but adapt.

(An interesting story: we went on a church trip once and my parents made us play this game they called "Adapt" in which Jimmy and I "adapted" to whatever anyone else wanted to do. Parents, I HATED that game. But, I would like to think that I am not bad at it as a result of that gruelling game of it which lasted for a week.)

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that nothing is permanent; no state of affairs, no emotion, no nothing. Enjoy the good things and trust that the bad things will eventually go away. Maybe this is as good as it gets. Don't waste it.

No comments: